Mental Health and Wellbeing
At St Hilda's Church of England VC Primary School, we are committed to supporting the emotional health and wellbeing of our pupils and staff. We know that everyone experiences life challenges that can make us vulnerable and at times, anyone may need additional emotional support. We take the view that positive mental health is everybody’s responsibility and that we all have a role to play.
At our school, we promote a mentally healthy environment through:
- Promoting our school values and encouraging a sense of belonging
- Promoting pupil voice and opportunities to participate in decision-making
- Celebrating academic and non-academic achievements in order to promote self-esteem
- Providing opportunities to develop a sense of worth through taking responsibility for themselves and others
- Providing opportunities to reflect
- Access to appropriate support that meets their needs
- Helping children to understand their emotions and feelings better and to feel comfortable sharing any concerns or worries
- Helping children to develop emotional resilience and to manage setbacks
- Worry monsters to share concerns and problem solve together
Feel Good Friday Collective Worships
Each Friday we hold an assembly with a focus on wellbeing: focusing on mind, body and soul. This has included topics such as:
Appreciation, gratitude, growth mindset, friendships, online safety, wellbeing strategies and self -esteem.
Our website contains a worry button and each class has a worry monster to enable pupils to alert staff to their worries or concerns.